IBPS Clerk Exam 2018 for the preliminary round will commence from the month of December. Students preparing for the exam of IBPS Clerk 2018 must be well-aware of the section-wise topics, which hold more importance as compared to others for an all round preparation of this exam.
Hence, in this article, we have shared the topics which need more attention for the effective preparation of the IBPS Clerk Exam 2018. So, read this post now in order to score better in the preliminary phase of this exam.
First let’s see the number of questions and time allotted for each section.
|SUBJECT||NUMBER OF QUESTIONS||MAXIMUM MARKS||SECTION-WISE TIMING|
|English Language||30||30||20 Minutes|
|Numerical Ability||35||35||20 Minutes|
|Reasoning Ability||35||35||20 Minutes|
You have to clear the sectional as well as the overall cut off of the exam, in order to get through the prelims phase.
Important Topics for the preparation of IBPS Clerk 2018
We will now have a look at the important topics of each section, which the candidates must prepare thoroughly, in order to crack IBPS Clerk Prelims.
English Language: Important Topics
English is the trickiest section of all three of IBPS Clerk syllabus. Even those who are good at it mark the wrong answers because of confusion in the similar options.
Let’s have a look at the topics which have high probability to be asked in your exam.
Now with the introduction of sectional timing, you can give adequate time to English and read the RC properly which was not the case earlier. Read The Hindu or Economic Times and try to grasp the crux of the article. This will help in solving the inference and assumption based questions in your examination. Learn the difficult words and their different usages as 3-4 questions in RC are on synonyms/antonyms.
It is a very important and easy topic. You can even get 10/10 in this section if you are familiar with grammatical rules. Give attention to proper usage of words. Options may be tricky, so try to find the best fitting option out of all.
For example, words like Enable and Empower are almost same but their usages are different.
For error spotting, you should refer to any grammar book and clear basics first. Questions on Tense, Subject-Verb Agreement, Conditionals, Clauses, verbs etc. are the most commonly asked Error Spotting Questions. We have quizzes on Error Spotting as well. Make sure to solve at least 20 quizzes before your exam.
Read all sentences and find the first sentence as it is always easy to do so. Then try to find the connectives between first and second line as the latter always carry on with the idea introduced in the former.
- One has enough time to solve English Section now. There is absolutely no need to read fast as in this way you would skip the essence of passage. Read slowly and comprehend this section properly.
- Keep your accuracy high. Don’t attempt if you are not sure as negative marking can stop you from getting selected.
- If you do not know the correct answer, try to eliminate the incorrect ones. At least two options can be eliminated easily and then pick the one option which appears better choice than the others.
- Practice mock test daily to increase your speed in the exam.
Numerical Ability: Important Topics
Here are the probable topics, which one might come across in this exam.
|DI (Pie Chart, Bar Graph, Data Table)||10|
Quadratic Equations, Simplification and Number Series are the easiest topics. Always start with these topics and try to finish them within 10 minutes. One of the two DI is always easy, so solve that one first. 4-5 questions of Arithmetic are easy in nature so don’t hesitate in leaving tough questions and pick the easy ones because eventually you will get same marks for all the questions.
Simplification and Number Series
For Number Series, learn the squares, cubes, tables, prime numbers and practice lots of calculation. With practice, you can easily identify the pattern of series. Similarly for Simplification, these things will help you a lot.
- Learn tables up to 30.
- Learn squares up to 50.
- Learn cubes up to 20.
Arithmetic questions are asked from these topics – Percentage, Interest (Simple, Compound), Profit and Loss, Averages, Problems on Ages, Ratio & Proportions, Mixtures, Time & Work, Time, Speed & Distance, Probability.
For this topic, you just have to practice calculations. Generally the questions involve ratio, percentage along with calculations, so read these questions carefully.
- We just have 20 minutes to solve 35 questions which are not enough to solve all questions. So just find the easy questions and solve them.
- Don’t panic if you are unable to solve any particular question and skip to the next one. Speed and Accuracy both will play role in this subject.
Reasoning Ability: Important Topics
Here are the topics, which one may come across in the exam:
It is not necessary that you find all these topics in your examination but you have to prepare all these as IBPS keeps shuffling questions from these topics every year.
The best thing you can do for this section is consistent practice. You have to be comfortable with each pattern only then you can solve these questions in limited time at the time of your exam.
We have seen a twist in all traditional questions-
- Syllogism —— Reverse Syllogism
- Blood Relationship ——- Coded Blood Relationship/ Seating Arrangement’
- Inequalities ——– Coded Inequalities
These questions are slightly time-taking than the traditional questions. Practice sectional tests daily with and without timer. Try to improve speed but it should not affect your accuracy.
- In puzzles and seating arrangement, always start with positive statement.
- Draw lines in place of circle in circular seating arrangement as it becomes easier to locate persons in lines.
- Learn family tree and use +/- signs for male and female.
- Be aware of the directions (North, South, East, West) Left, Right, Clockwise and Anti-clockwise.
- Learn the numbers of alphabets as it comes handy in solving Miscellaneous Questions.
- Practice all kinds of puzzles (Scheduling, Floor based, linear, square, circular, parallel).
- Take care of the minute details given in question. (Words like Not, Only, Also are skipped by us sometimes and our entire labor goes in vain).
- Always select easy questions first and go for puzzles only if you are left with time.
Hope these tips will help you prepare for the IBPS Clerk exam in a much better way. So brace yourself and start preparing with full zeal and devotion.
Don’t forget to download IBPS Clerk preparation app on Google Play Store. It provides free notes, topic-wise study material, quizzes, mock test, previous papers, and all the notifications related Bank exams.