Geotargeting is about delivering productive results to an Internet user based on their location. This system is a necessity for business owners who have websites that cater to different localities nationwide or even worldwide. Search engines such as Google use location as another factor in determining the results of web searches.
What Is Geotargeting?
Search engines use geotargeting as a process in optimizing your website so that specific details and content are produced based on the location of the user. Users who access your website are not only based in one location. You may not know it, but your users are located globally, and geotargeting is a strategic way of converting these global users into clients.
Many users now access the Internet on their mobile phones, and mobility is the name of the game when it comes to geotargeting. Content depends on their location, and even results from web searches will be based on the location of the user. IP addresses are used by web search engine servers to locate the user and then match specific content based on this location.
This technique is also being harnessed by ad agencies.
How Does Geotargeting Work?
Search engines use three main signals in determining the location of the website, namely its:
- Hosting location
As a website owner, you can use your own subdomain, country code top-level domain, general top-level domain, subdirectory, or any domain to improve your publicity SEO ranking.
Tips for Using Geotargeting
- In order to boost your performance in your own country, you can use backlinks to country code top-level domains. Using links to local content shows your website is specific to that place. In turn, this will trigger search engine results specific to that locality.
- Relevant backlinks should also be established, since this will enhance the legitimacy and quality of your website. You would not want to backlink to parenting blogs if you are in the business of selling running shoes, would you?
- If you have country-specific domain name extensions and a local server IP, use these to your advantage since search engines use server locations in ranking their search results.
- You should take into consideration whether your server’s IP address has been flagged for spam, since this will also affect the ranking of your website. Adjusting this and taking into consideration the loading speed of your website will help you maintain the ranking that you want for your website.
- Your contact information in the Contact Us page section of your website is also important. You can use appropriate contact information such as matching it with Whois website information so that clients will not be suspicious with you as a business owner.
- You can also use exact-match domains or use keywords for your domain names so that relevant search results matching the keywords in your domain names will have positive results for your website.
- Try to adjust the site map and site architecture of your website by allowing search engines to index your pages thoroughly, thereby improving the relationship of your website for search engines such as Google and increasing your rank in the search results.
- Create YouTube content specific to your region, since the search results for videos increased significantly after the Google Panda Update.
- Setting up HTTPS as a means of securing your local customers will be advantageous to your business. It adds an assurance that your website is legitimate and you do not want to gather personal information as well as credit card information unscrupulously for your security reasons. SSL certificates and HTTPS are used by Google for ranking purposes.
- Your products and services must match the right cities where you want it to be promoted for successful conversion.
- Use specific zip codes for the areas you want your products and services to be known for. You can use radius targeting in order to reach more visitors that will become your clients.
- Make sure that the keywords that you use for geotargeting match the location of your business. You can create a list of keywords such as “wedding planner in New York” or “wedding business in New York,” since most people have a tendency to search for products or services near their location. You can also use regional terms if your business is able to cater in a specific region. Most people search keywords using regional terms because this is highly reliable in producing specific search results.
- Make sure that you are geotargeting the correct city and correct neighborhood, since customers do not want to waste time in going to your business location if you are just using cities or neighborhoods just for the sake of increasing your search ranks.
- Make sure that you also consider the social and economic status of your clients when you are geotargeting. For example, high-end equipment will certainly be purchase by those living in affluent locations.
- You can also use zip codes in geotargeting keywords because the results will have a lower cost-per-click and a higher search volume. Make sure that you add them to your location settings in the keywords that you will be using.
- Use the power of Google Analytics when you are geotargeting. This will show you how your customers think. As a business owner, you need to think like your clients and understand how they behave. This is where Google Analytics can be very helpful, such as being able to identify the cities that are bringing you a high amount of visitors and search volume.
- You should write ads that are specific to your location. This will increase your overall metrics in search engines. You can also create a landing page for a specific city to maximize your business’s geotargeting efficiency.
- If you own several branches of your business and they are strategically located in different cities, you should create different campaigns for each different city. This is another way of making geotargeting effective for your business, since a business campaign in New York may be different from the one you do in Texas. You might have an extensive line of service in the latter city which cannot be found in the former city.
- In geotargeting, as a business owner, you should always enable your extensions and Google Places. This is a valuable benefit for your SEO ranking, which you can do for free in a short amount of time.
Geotargeting is really valuable in increasing the Return on Investment for your business since this strategically attracts the right customers specific to your location. These are the best practices that can be done in order to have an accurate result specific to the location of the user.